Searchism Engine

Custom Search

Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Student's crazy parents

Tell me what is going on with parents forcing their children to go to college? I understand they are nervous that their kid is approaching adulthood during a shitty economic time, but that doesn't mean that their child will pay any more attention in class. At the same time, colleges are encouraging students to gain college credits while they are in high school. I think this is only appropriate for students who want to finish high school earlier, but not for students who are suffering in their High School curriculum and have jeopardized their graduation date. Also, are the colleges really into helping high school students or are they just wanting more money?
Everyday I get a parent or both parents coming up to me at the front counter (of a community college) and asking how to get their child enrolled for classes. Where is the child? Does the child want to come to school? I think if the child wanted to go to school they would at least show up in person to ask questions or go online themselves to gather information. I had a student show up to my counter the other day (alone). He asked if he could schedule an appointment with his advisor. I searched for him in our database and found the kid was only 14 years old!!! Yes! This kid wanted to go to school! I congratulated him for his efforts and told him if he ever needed any assistance whatsoever to please ask me.
Most parents get upset when we aren't allowed to give information about their own children to them. Especially when the parents pay for the education. I think it's a little wake up call to them.
Yes I know I'm complaining, but it does derive the question: "Are we forcing the idea of college onto our younger ones?" I don't recall my mother helping me with one thing. And you want to know something, I took some classes that didn't go towards my degree. That's because I decided to change my mind a few times about what I wanted to do. I still go to school and I'm 26. I am just now actually realizing the benefit of my education and what it will take to complete a bachelor's degree. This takes time and honestly parents, you children will do fine. Quit holding their hands while this is a time of learning! You are not helping them learn!!! Just the process of getting registered for classes is an experience on it's own, so don't deprive them of that. Be a good support, but don't make them do things that they wouldn't do themselves.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment