Searchism Engine

Custom Search

Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Listening is essential... but that's just my opinion

Watching coverage of the Deep water Horizon explosion frustrated me. I was getting so aggravated by people ranting on about their opinions of who's to blame, what they need to do and how they need to do it. My attitude was: what do these people know?
I've come to realize that I've been pretty opinionated myself. Obama spoke at the University of Michigan's graduation ceremony and reminded us how important it is to listen to others and to respect others. It educates us to listen to opposing opinions. We can at least get an idea of where these people are coming from and it maybe helpful to establish a compromise. He reminds us that being civilized is important. A letter from a child in kindergarten asked Obama: "Are people being nice?" Lastly, he reminds us that "we are all the government, we the people..."
Initially I let the news get to me and create tension within. Today, I now know that I actually educated myself on a topic that I knew nothing about. I feel that from now on I will watch the news with a more open mind and I will conduct more of my own research as well. Here to a smarter Government and a smarter America.


By Casey Rogers Greeley, CO

http://caseyism.blogspot.com/

Source links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcNXFz_QCVU
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment